Saturday, December 15, 2012

First Doctor Visit

Myelle had her first doctor visit yesterday. I had taken her in on Monday to get a weight check since she had lost more than the 7% norm of her birth weight at the hospital. Her birth weight was 6 pounds 9.4 ounces and when we left the hospital she had lost 8% and weighed in at 6 pounds 1 ounce (which happened to be the same weight as Kyler when he left the hospital). On Monday, she weighed in at 6 pounds 4.8 ounces so she was gaining. Yesterday, she weighed 6 pounds 11 ounces. The girl is growing quickly which gives this mama some peace of mind. The doctor said that they aim for 1/2 ounce of weight gained per day and she was averaging 2 ounces per day! Since she has exceeded her birth weight, we no longer need to wake her to feed her and I can just feed her on demand which is nice.

Myelle is in the 10th percentile for weight which is fine. Her length was 19.5 inches which is right at the 50th percentile. The doctor checked her out and we talked about how she is doing, and she is perfectly healthy. I could not be happier about that! She started out doing a lot more spitting up and even did the projectile vomit thing a few times so I was a little worried about her gaining weight and having stomach problems but I think she just had to learn how to swallow correctly and she has been spitting up significantly less lately. She also eats really fast and is usually done within 10 to 15 minutes so I was glad to hear she is getting enough to eat. She looks and feels bigger to us compared to when we were in the hospital. I know she is going to grow up way too fast!

I was told to keep Myelle at home as much as possible because of all the flu strands and RSV that is going around. That means no trips to the store or church for her. It has been working out okay though since Grandma is at home and can come over or I can bring Myelle by if I need to run errands. I'm sure by February we are going to be stir crazy though!

Her sleep schedule is still a little sporadic. Some nights are better than others but she typically only sleeps soundly about half of the night. The other half she seems to be gassy or just unable to fall into a deep sleep. She sleeps more in the mornings so she seems to have her days and nights a little off right now. Hopefully that will improve over the next several nights.

No comments: