I received my lab results back from Day 3. These were taken prior to me starting fertility medication (Femara).
Liver & Kidney Function - Normal
TSH - .91 - Normal
Random Glucose - 76 - Normal
AMH "anti-mullerian hormone" - 12.7 - High (normal range is 1.6 to 3.9)
Estradiol - 71 - High (want under 50)
FSH "follicle stimulating hormone" - 8.1 - Slightly Elevated (want under 7.9)
So what does it all mean? That's something I am constantly trying to learn about. I had a lot more years with a lot less responsibility to learn all about my mullerian anomaly. But PCOS is still new to me and there is so much to learn. Plus, some of these results are atypical even for someone with PCOS.
The high AMH basically just means that I have PCOS. It tests for ovarian reserve and a high number just means I am making more follicles than the average woman. You would think that would be a good thing but the problem is that the follicles don't develop into eggs or reabsorb back into the ovary in my case. So they just hang out in my ovaries and stay small.
From what I understand, the estradiol test is important for determining the accuracy of the FSH. A high estradiol can artificially lower the FSH. That means my FSH is probably actually much higher than what it shows. Women over 40 typically have high FSH results and it means that they have less good eggs. As we know, I have lots of follicles but am just not producing good eggs. In the words of my nurse regarding the estradiol and FSH results: "This is showing mild diminished ovarian reserve. You can still get pregnant."
Overall, I think it is a really good thing that we started when we did because I am running out of time quickly. We'll see what Monday's ultrasound shows in terms of what my eggs look like after the fertility medication but I am not too optimistic there will be much there to work with. Kyler defied all odds so hopefully we can make that happen one last time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I know it feels like a kick in the stomach. I hated hearing I may have low reserve and/or bad eggs. Are those numbers much different from the last IUI?
Will be thinking about you Monday!
We have our home study visit with the social worker Tuesday!
I don't have a record of what the numbers were last time but I think the estradiol and FSH numbers are a lot different. It just doesn't make sense to me how the AMH and FSH can both be high. From what I am reading, you can't have PCOS with DOR. I guess I'll find out Monday.
Does that mean the home study is almost over? What's next?
Post a Comment