Monday, March 7, 2011

Cycle 1, Day 12 - Working Together

Today I went in for an ultrasound to see if I am ready for my ovulation shot. I'm not. I expected this because my cycles are longer than most women and that's exactly what happened during the IUI cycle we did before Kyler was conceived.

I had the ultrasound so that my nurse could measure my follicles (eggs that are growing to be released and fertilized - hopefully just one). My biggest one was at 13mm and they want them to be around 20 so I will be going back in Wednesday morning so they can check again. I'm not sure how many follies I had that were even remotely large but I know the last time there were only two that even got close and I think just one that was big enough in the end when we did the IUI.

My case is so much different than the average infertility or PCOS case (if there even is a norm or average with IF (infertility). One thing that is different is that multiples would be very risky for me due to the size of each side of my uterus. The doctors weren't sure how well my uterus would do with one baby (it did just great) let alone two. I would have to be on bed rest forever if that happened and there would be an extremely high chance of premature birth or worse. So they have to give me just the right amount of fertility meds so that I just get prego with one baby, no more and no less. The other thing is the new thing - DOR. I have PCOS so I start growing a lot of follicles but then I am also showing signs of diminishing ovarian reserve (DOR) which basically means my eggs suck and there aren't very many good quality eggs. To give you an idea, most women start showing signs of DOR when they are around 40. I just turned 27.

It sounds bad to have these two problems on top of my didelphic uterus but I'm beginning to see and think that maybe there is a reason for all of this after all. Mainly because PCOS and DOR sort of work against each other. Just having PCOS and taking fertility meds gives you a high chance of having multiples because of all the eggs that are already starting into follies. But then the DOR cuts that down so that there is only a follie or two that are even high enough quality to make a baby. So it seems that all this might just be working together to help B and I make a baby. Only time will tell...

No comments: