First of all, thanks for all your words of encouragement and thoughts and prayers. It means a lot to us that we have such great and supportive friends and family surrounding us. It has also been helpful to hear about all the miscarriages that let us know that it really is common. It helps me not jump to the conclusion that it is because of all my problems, although I can't help but wonder.
The D&C procedure went pretty well this morning and we were both in pretty good spirits, all things considered. I don't think I mentioned it before, but she removed the tissue from both sides of my uterus, not just the one where the gestational sac was. I had to be at the hospital at 6:00am, which was pretty early after watching the Overland Park fireworks from our apartment lawn last night. Brett arrived just before I went into surgery as he had to take care of the dogs and drop Kyler off at daycare. I was under general anesthesia for the first time and it went just fine. That was one of the things that caused the most anxiety when I first scheduled the surgery.
I got the anesthesia around 8:00 and was back out around 10:30. When I woke up, I had the shakes and my teeth were chattering. This was the main symptom after the spinal I had with my C-section too, so just my body's reaction to anesthesia. But it does cause me to sort of tense up and that made my cramping a little worse. They gave me pain medicine through the IV which helped a lot. I had tears running down my face for a while after I woke up, for no apparent reason. I wasn't feeling emotional, maybe just vulnerable. I also had some nausea when I woke up and needed some water to spit. I think they also gave me some nausea medicine and I felt fine pretty quickly. Mostly, I just wanted my glasses/contacts so I could see. My throat is a little sore from the breathing tube and I must have bit my lip as it is a little sore and swollen. The nurse in recovery said that I wanted the tube out but wouldn't open my mouth, so I probably somehow bit my lip in the process.
Now that I am home and have eaten, I am feeling pretty good. I'm a little light-headed but that's about it. My doctor spoke with Brett after surgery and said that everything went well. I will have to go into the office in about a week for a post-op checkup. I will be resting until tomorrow morning and Kyler and I will have a pretty slow day at home tomorrow. After that I will have a week of no swimming and other stuff that you would associate with this type of surgery. Then I should be pretty much back to normal.
Brett and I talked again this morning about how all of this is out of our control and is in God's hands. It is a good reminder and something we need to keep in mind at all times. For a while, I had been praying for a baby during my daily prayer sessions but Brett helped me realize that isn't necessary. So we now pray for God's will to be done, for us to fulfill His plans for us, for us to make good decisions, and to keep our family safe and happy. If another baby is in those plans (which we feel is the case), we will somehow be parents again. For now, we can just try to meet him halfway (something I was reminded of recently when watching "Where the Red Fern Grows") by continuing treatments. These fertility treatments continue to take us on a frustrating and time-consuming journey but we will trudge through... and have faith that it will all pay off in the end.
2 comments:
I thought about you all day today and glad to hear you are home and doing well. Cindy, I'm so proud of you. You are such a strong person...both mentally and spiritually. I know this will work out, one way or another. You both deserve only the best. Give little Ky-man a big hug from his Godmom.
Talk soon,
Aunt Shelly
So glad everything went well and hoping you have a smooth recovery.
Post a Comment